Banner year: Learn about each school’s banner
Students, parents and faculty, as you sit amidst all of the pomp and circumstance that is the annual Commencement ceremony in the Alex G. Spanos Center this weekend, take the time to look up onto the main stage and behind the speakers. Behind the outstanding men and women who will grace that stage is an array of colorful banners, displaying the names and colors of each of the individual schools that make up our incredible University.
Each of these banners is symbolic, and though they all bear the University’s seal, they are otherwise unique to the specific discipline they represent. Before being displayed on stage, the banners will enter the facility preceding the faculty from the department they symbolize.
So, why do the banners look they way they do? Here’s a quick guide to understanding and recognizing each individual banner.
College of the Pacific: The College of the Pacific houses both science and liberal arts studies; thus, this banner incorporates both disciplines. The sciences are represented by the gold field in this banner. Combined with the arts and letters, it forms the foundation of the liberal arts programs offered in the central division of the University.
An emblem of a torch symbolizes the lamp of knowledge, which served as a predecessor to the Mace in the seal of the University.
Because the Methodist Church played a central role in the founding of the college in 1851, the emblem also contains a cross.
University Library: An important part of every student’s career here on campus, the library symbolizes knowledge and wisdom, and so the banner’s emblem depicts a key and a book.
The banner’s lemon yellow background represents the library science discipline. Since its founding in 1851, the Library’s faculty and staff have served all academic areas of the University.
Conservatory of Music: The Conservatory’s banner uses a pink field, which is the accepted color for all disciplines relating to music.
The emblem is a contemporary graphic of a musical symbol, which was developed in 1987 to symbolize new directions for the Conservatory.
Founded in 1878, Pacific’s Conservatory of Music is the oldest University-affiliated conservatory in the West.
Dugoni School of Dentistry: The lilac field represents the school of Dentistry. The emblem is the dental caduceus surrounded by a triangle that represents the three corners of Dentistry’s program: education, research and service.
McGeorge School of Law: The McGeorge School of Law is represented by the deeper purple color of law. The school’s logo contains a law book and judicial column, which symbolizes the study and practice of the program.
Gladys L. Benerd School of Education: The light blue field of this banner signifies the disciplines related to education. The school’s emblem is a depiction of a lamp of learning.
The Gladys L. Benerd School of Education has been creating new teachers since the school was founded in 1924 when the University moved to Stockton.
Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: The green colors of the pharmacy profession form the field for this school’s banner.
The green of pharmacy surround the TJL emblem, the bowl of Hygeia. Hygeia was the Greek goddess of health and is the traditional emblem of pharmacy. The banner’s symbol is an adaptation of the official emblem of the American Pharmaceutical Association, which is an updated version of the bowl of Hygeia. The School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at Pacific was founded in 1955.
Research and Graduate Studies: This banner incorporates the elements of the arts and letters and sciences with the University’s colors of orange and black, also displaying a portion of the University seal.
A formal organization of Research and Graduate Studies was established in 1956, though graduate degrees were offered early in the history of the University.
School of Engineering and Computer Science: An orange field encompasses the symbol that reflects the school’s major areas of study. All four areas of engineering are represented: A wheel represents mechanical engineering, a bridge symbolizes civil engineering and the figure in the center signifies the combined fields of electrical and computer engineering.
Though the department dates back to the 1930s, the School of Engineering and Computer Science was not officially founded until 1958.
Eberhardt School of Business: Beige, representing business, serves as the banner’s background.
Years ago, students competed to select the school’s emblem when the school was renamed in honor of Robert M. Eberhardt, the Eberhardt family and the Bank of Stockton in 1955 as a thank you for their generous support of the University.
School of International Studies: The gold and white of this banner once again illustrates the arts, letters and sciences.
The blue globe exhibits the programs’ international nature, which includes study abroad opportunities in over 100 locations.
Each banner may represent only one school or group of programs, but together, they make up the diverse rainbow of our University, reminding us that regardless of our individual fields of study, we are all members of the greater Pacific community.
Latest posts by Alex Rooney (see all)
- Banner year: Learn about each school’s banner - May 21, 2016
- Making “Lemonade” out of a potentially sour situation - May 16, 2016
- R&B singer Kehlani attempts suicide - April 21, 2016