Mix up your fall fashion with these tips
Ah, autumn. We’ve finally slipped into the season ruled by sweaters and corduroys, everything painted in rich, food-inspired hues like pumpkin and plum, mustard and cardamom.
That being said, dressing for fall can become static pretty quickly if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Ahead, a few ways to spice up some classic autumn staples when you fall into a fashion rut:
1) Mainstay: Smooth, streamlined leather jackets paired with jeans and boots to keep out that autumnal chill.
Innovation: If you ever get tired of leather, give suede a try. Try a suede jacket, a suede fringed bag or a suede button-front skirt paired with knee-high socks, ankle booties and a cropped sweater for a tantalizing taste of the past.
2) Mainstay: Cozy, ugly sweaters in a variety of ironically kitschy colors and patterns.
Innovation: Throw on a sweater dress to put some spring in your step.
If you’re tired of the shapeless bulkiness up top, try a sweater dress in a thinner material. Details like cabling or intarsia ensure visual interest, while a statement belt can help define your waist even more.
3) Mainstay: Turtlenecks, whether chunky or ribbed, combine a flattering silhouette with functionality under a warm wool coat.
Innovation: Wind a silk scarf or bandana tightly around your neck for a streamlined look that gives all the warmth of a turtleneck with much more adjustability. Alternatively, add a chunky knitted scarf for a welcome pop of color and texture.
4) Mainstay: When it comes to fall, corduroy pants in a variety of cuts and colors are a must.
Innovation: If you ever tire of hearing the swishing wails of corduroy wales (see what I did there?), try a corduroy jean jacket, perhaps with an ivory sherpa collar. The ‘70s are big this season, so live it up and make it groovy, baby.
5) Mainstay: Sturdy boots in leather or (ugh) Uggs finish off the perfect fall outfit.
Innovation: Give ‘stocks with socks a try. Okay, okay, hear me out: Some may say wearing Birkenstocks with socks is even more heinous than wearing those shapeless Ugg boots. But there’s far more versatility and foot support involved in Birks, and the Stockton weather probably won’t give your toes frostbite. Slip into a classic pair of chunky heathered socks, or give socks with ruffles or prints a go. Then don your summer shoes for one more season before winter falls.
All in all, autumn is the perfect season to mix up your wardrobe while maintaining that coveted intersection of warmth and style. Keep these tips and tricks in mind when you want to add a little variety to your fall fashion rotation.
Latest posts by Sarah Yung (see all)
- Tapingo offers food delivery to Pacific’s campus - May 21, 2016
- What’s the deal with the gender pay gap? - May 21, 2016
- “Ghost in the Shell” faces whitewashing controversy - May 1, 2016